Dr. Daniel Goleman and Amrit dive deep into developing emotional intelligence, with focus on leadership. They talk about self-awareness, how to manage your emotions, self-motivation and empathy, how to handle a relationship, and creating stability within yourself. They also converse about the impact of emotions on you and others, developing focus, types of focus, performance vs. stress levels and “good work”.
Dr. Daniel Goleman is a psychologist, science journalist, lecturer, and the author of the best-selling book Emotional Intelligence amongst others.
He is also the host of First Person Plural podcast and Key Step Media publisher, co-director of Consortium for Research on Emotional Intelligence in Organizations, co-developer of the Goleman EI, and former science journalist for the New York Times.
Emotional Intelligence is the capacity to recognize and manage your own feelings and to recognize and respond effectively to those of others. This tool with four domains helps you be more successful in all aspects of your life.
Self-awareness (keystone of EI), to recognize and understand how emotions help or hurt what you do. With this tool you have a sense of how others see you, a sense of your strengths and limitations which gives you self-confidence, and clarity on your values and sense of purpose.
Self-management, to handle your emotional reactions, control impulse, and to recover from life’s upsets.
Social awareness and empathy, to tune into others’ feelings, and read their unspoken messages. A leader must care about their team, this gives the team a sense of belonging and trust to perform better.
Once you have mastered these skills, relationship management flows in naturally leading to leadership and interpersonal effectiveness.
Emotions are contagious. The feelings you are experiencing and the mood you are in can be felt by others and vice versa. In business, how employees perceive their organization’s climate can be traced to the head. As a leader, reign in your negative emotions and cultivate a positive mindset to generate a positive emotional contagion.
Daniel talks about ventilation fallacy. Getting upset and venting your anger prolongs and amplifies your mood. You can choose to go with it or step back and work with it.
Some stress is vital, but too much can shut down your brain’s ability to work well. This is a “frazzle state” that can be balanced in many different ways. Meditation is an excellent option. Get your own PSI stress/renewal balance here: ttps://www.keystepmedia.com/shop/psi/#.YVtXJppKi1s
Recognizing sources of stress and addressing them calms you down and helps you recover. This recovery strengthens your focus and helps you get back into flow and not be distracted with your own negative emotions. You can be present with who you are and what you are doing. It also avoids frazzle and burnout.
There is inner focus, other focus (empathy for others) and outer focus (for leaders) that refers to understanding the systems that constrain you or allow you an opportunity.
Dr. Daniel refers to the book “Good Work” when he talks about the work you love. When you align it’s three elements: identifying what you are really good at, what you love doing and what has most meaning to you, you have “good work”. People that have good work don’t burn out because they love what they do.
- Welcome Dr. Daniel Goleman to Inspired Evolution!: (00:00:00)
- What is Emotional Intelligence?:(03:20)
- The importance of self awareness for EI: (03:46)
- Venting when you’re angry prolonging your mood: (06:41)
- Performance vs stress levels: (13:51)
- The importance of focus in present times: (21:23)
- Moving into self-motivation: (28:50)
- The importance of empathy: (32:06)
- Emotional stability linked with focus: (44:00)
- Different types of focus: (47:19)
- The importance of mindfulness for self-awareness: (49:27)
- Deep vs wide approach to mindfulness: (52:16)
Dr. Daniel Goleman books:
- “Emotional Intelligence”: https://amz.run/4wfj
- “Focus”: https://amz.run/4wff
- “Altered Traits”: https://amz.run/4wfg
- “Good Work”: book by H. Gardner, M. Csikszentmihalyi & W. Damon: https://amz.run/4whr
- Building Blocks of EI: https://www.keystepmedia.com/shop/12-leadership-competency-primers/#.YVxRe9rMK1s
Connect with Dr. Daniel Goleman:
- Website: https://www.danielgoleman.info/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/danielgoleman
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/daniel_goleman_
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/danielgoleman/
Join the Inspired Evolution Community: